- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time30 min
- Total Time40 min
- Yield4 Servings
- 675g/1½ lb beef fillet, preferably cut from the tail end (It can be made with Sirloin which will make the dish cheaper
- 65g/2½oz unsalted butter
- 1½ tbsp paprika (hot Hungarian, if you like a little subtle heat)
- 1 large onion, very thinly sliced
- 350g/12oz button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil
- 300ml/10fl oz soured cream
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- small handful of parsley leaves, finely chopped
- freshly ground black pepper
Cut the steak into 1cm strips
Melt the butter in the griddle, add the paprika and onion and cook slowly until onion is soft but not browned.
Add the mushrooms and fry gently for three minutes, transfer to a plate and keep warm.
Using the same pan heat the sunflower oil until very hot
Add the fillet and fry quickly seasoning and turning as you do for around a minute. You do not want to overcook the steak. Transfer to a plate.
Return the onion/mushroom mixture to the pan add the sour cream and bring to the boil, simmer for a minute until thickened
Return the steak to the pan and heat gently for one minute. The beef should not be cooked any further.
Stir in the lemon juice and parsley
Serve with buttered noodles or rice