Jackie Weight was the first and to date only non-American to win the coveted overall Grand Champion Title at the Jack Daniels Invitational BBQ Competition (2004) in Lynchburg, Tennessee
1. What got you into BBQ’ng?
I’ve had a love of cooking since childhood, so cooking outdoors was a natural progression, that and a fascination for fire!
2. How many BBQ’s do you have at home and what is your favourite method of cooking?
Err, I may have to plead the 5th on that one .. don’t tell anyone but I have around 17 at last count. I can’t narrow down my favourite way of cooking, but I love the indirect low and slow cook that my GMG Pellet Grills give me as well as cooking indirect and searing on my Kamado, it really depends on what I’m cooking.
3. What is your favourite piece of BBQ equipment? This can be a BBQ or an accessory and we want to know why.
Probably my Cold Smoker (which I use with my ProQ CSG), partly because my other half Dave made it for me, complete with Perspex door so that I can see what’s going in inside, but mainly because without it, there would be no bacon!!
4. What was the best BBQ food you have ever eaten?
That’s easy! The best BBQ Food I’ve eaten is with friends at BBQ Competitions mainly in America … the relaxed evening cookout before everything goes mental.
5. Tell us about your worst BBQ disaster?
Almost setting fire to a 12th century Tythe Barn during a catering event years ago! I left my cooker in the ‘capable hands’ of my late husband only to come back and find that he had let things get a little too Hot!
6. Name a dish you have never cooked but would love to try?
I’m not sure there is one! If I really want to try something I’ll always try cooking it.
7. Who is the person you would most like to cook with?
I usually cook alone, but I’d like to cook with like minded people who share my passion for BBQ and like to have some fun.
8. What is your favourite song to cook to?
Anything from Queen is a good start for me as it drowns out my singing!
9. Best toppings for a BBQ burger?
Slow cooked caramelised red onion and decent ‘melty’ cheese
10. What’s your favourite non-BBQ food guilty pleasure?
I absolutely love to bake, so anything that involves cake!
For more information visit http://jackieweight.com/