Baja Fish Tacos
- Prep Time1 hr
- Cook Time20 min
- Total Time1 hr 20 min
- Yield4 Servings
For the batter
- 200g rice flour
- 100g plain flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 200ml sparkling water or light beer
For the fish
- 500ml rapeseed oil, for frying
- 1 large Pollack fillet, skinned and pin boned, cut into 8 evenly sized rectangular pieces
- 100g rice flour
For the Lime aioli
- 1 small cloves garlic, peeled
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lge free-range egg yolks
- ½ tsp English or Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 125ml sunflower or rapeseed oil
For the pico de gallo
- 300g ripe vine tomatoes
- 2 med. red onions diced
- ½ bunch of coriander
- 1tsp sea salt
- 1tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1tsp sugar
- juice of 2-3 limes
- 1 tsp rape seed oil
Make the pico de gallo and lime aioli in advance.
For the Pico de Gallo
– Quarter the tomatoes. Remove the cores and dice in to 5mm
– Add the diced red onions, coriander and jalapeno. Add salt and pepper to taste
– Once you’re happy with the flavour, mix in the sugar. Add lime juice to taste and the oil. The mixture should be salty, sweet, zingy and slightly spicy
For the Lime Aioli
– Crush the garlic mix in the salt and then thoroughly combine with the egg yolk. Mustard, lime juice and pepper. In a slow steady stream, whisk the oil in to the egg mix, a few drops at a time to start, then in small dashes, whisking in each addition to properly emulsify before adding more. By the time you have added all the oil, you should have a thick glossy, wobbly aioli.
– add more salt, pepper, mustard or lime juice to taste.
Make the batter by mixing the flours, egg, baking powder, salt, chilli powder and oregano.
– Slowly add the sparkling water or beer and whisk until you have a batter-like consistency – ignore any lumps.
Heat oil in a suitable pan on the bbq for shallow frying.
Dip one piece of fish at a time in to the rice flour. Using tongs, dip the fish in to the batterand place the fish in the hot oil. Keep well away from your body.
– cook in batches of four for approx. 4 minutes. Repeat with the other pieces.
Assemble your tacos by warming the tortillas, place a dollop of aioli on them, followed by the fish, cabbage, pico de gallo, a couple of slices of jalapeno and some corriander. Add a squeeze of lime juice.