1. What got you into BBQ’ng?
My Dad! He was a racing driver and I spent my childhood in the pits and paddocks of race tracks around the UK. BBQ was how we ate every single meal. Mostly quick and easy food for the driver and the engineers. I learnt at a young age the art of cooking bacon over coals and feeding people – and that made me incredibly happy! This then morphed to experimental cooking over fire – which eventually lead to my ultimate passion for cooking over flame and embracing cuisines from the world with our F1 Cooks.
2. How many BBQ’s do you have at home and what is your favourite method of cooking?
Josh and I have over 10 BBQ’s including Weber grills, Savage fire cage, Big Joe 3, Baby Joe, Hellrazr & Roccbox. I love them all for different reasons.
3. What is your favourite piece of BBQ equipment? This can be a BBQ or an accessory and we want to know why.
I think it would have to be the rotisserie attachment to the Big Joe 3 and the Savage Cage. Simply because any piece of meat is transformed when it’s spun. It makes everything so tender and I love the knarly crispy crust or skin which inevitably comes with this type of cooking. Plus – if your BBQ is set correctly with deflection plates etc, it’s almost a set and forget!
4. What was the best BBQ food you have ever eaten?
WOW!! Tough question!! I think that any BBQ food can be elevated when you’re in good company and the weather is nice. For me it’s the atmosphere just as much as the food.
5. Tell us about your worst BBQ disaster?
I tried my hand at squid…the photos looked fantastic but it was an epic fail!! I definitely need to work on that one!
6. Name a dish you have never cooked but would love to try?
There are 2…..Baked Alaska. I’ve actually never had it in my 49 years on this planet but the thought of baking icecream blows my mind!! 2nd is chocolate gravy. This comes from the film chocolat, when Juilette Bonoche serves a banquet with roast chicken as the centerpiece and served with chocolate gravy.
These 2 are now on my hit list to make in 2023!
7. Who is the person you would most like to cook with?
I cook with my favorite person in the world every day….Josh and I make almost every meal a date night. Some nights it takes HOURS to make something which should take 2. But when the music is at high volume and there are no time pressures, cooking is the journey…not the destination.
8. What is your favourite song to cook to?
Anything I can dance to!
9. Best toppings for a BBQ burger?
Cheese, cheese and more cheese! Beer can burgers stuffed with Montaray Jack, cheddar and blue are my absolute faves.
10. What’s your favourite non-BBQ food?
Mediterranean and Persian side dishes….. Hummus, tzatziki and anything tapas.
11. What is your favourite dish from your book?
Shawarma by Sabrina Ghayour. In fact – anything from Sabrina has my vote.
Instagram @ioshenknives Facebook ioshen Twitter @IOShenknives