Pit Beans is one of Mr D’s all time favourites and he always cooks a huge pan so he can be sure of left overs. Great with Baked Potatoes, or as a side for ribs. They have also been known to end up in his lunch box with pasta or rice. You can adjust them to make them sweeter or spicier depending on your taste. We have a recipe that uses 4 table spoons of treacle but that is way too sweet for us
Easy Pit Beans
- Prep Time10 min
- Cook Time4 hr
- Total Time4 hr 10 min
- Yield8 Servings
- 1 tsp oil,
- 4 slices of back bacon.
- One large onion chopped,
- one garlic clove,
- 1 red or yellow pepper.
- 2tbs of pickled jalopenos
- 1 tin toms
- 150ml bbq sauce.
- One tin of each cheap baked beans, haricot, cannelini, pinto, red kidney.
- 1 tin premixed Jack Daniels and coke, don't worry the alcohol cooks off
- 100mls of chicken stock
- 1 tbs treacle
- You can add leftover bbq meet if u have any.
- 3tsp of rub. (I used the General from Angus and Oink which adds a nice smoky tex mex flavour)
Take rub and add 2-3tbs of water stir together to make a paste.
Heat oil add bacon and fry, remove from Pan
Add onion to pan and cook till softened.
Add garlic pepper and jalapenos and cook for 2-3 mins
Add rub/paste and cook for 1-2 mins
Add tomatoes, jd and coke, stock and bbq sauce and return the cooked bacon to the pan
Stir well, add beans and bbq meat if using.
Place pan on the bbq and cook until sauce has thickened adding water if necessary, probably for around 3-4 hours at a low temp or less time if higher