‘Style Your Own’ Bean Burger
- Prep Time15 min
- Cook Time10 min
- Total Time25 min
- Yield4 Servings
- 1 tin of chickpeas, drained.
- 1 tin of any other bean you fancy (kidney, black, mixed, cannelini, borlotti etc), drained & rinsed.
- 3 tbsp plain flour.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Style Your Own
- Choose one from each category…
- A handful of any soft herb (coriander, parsley, basil, tarragon, chives, mint, sage, oregano, fresh thyme – leaves only if stalks are woody)
- A tbsp of paste or puree (tomato, roasted garlic, sun dried tomato, thai curry, chipotle, harissa, tahini, red or green pesto, achiote, or even ripe avocado)
- 2 tsp dried herbs, spices, rub or any other flavouring you fancy that compliment the flavours of whichever herbs and spice paste you’ve chosen.
- A bit of heat (optional) in the form of dried chilli flakes. Less if using powder.
- Citrus. Lemon or lime work really well with a lot of herb and spice combinations. Zest and juice of 1 of your chosen fruit works well.
Put all the ingredients in a food processor and blitz to combine. It’s nice to keep a bit of texture, so pulse until you get the desired consistency, you want the mix to form easily into a ball. Check seasoning – the raw mix is perfectly safe to taste.
Shape the mix into 4 large patties, using wet hands helps, and lay on a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Pop the patties in the fridge to firm up for an hour or so. You can freeze the patties at this point for cooking at a later date or make ahead the day before.
Fry the patties on a medium to high heat in a little oil until golden on each side without moving them too much until a light crust has formed. Move them to a lower temperature or indirect area and finish cooking – around 10 minutes.
Serve on a toasted bun with your favourite accompaniments.
Here are a few examples of flavour combinations to add to your foundation mix.
• Fresh basil, sun dried tomato paste, 2 tsp of garlic granules (or fresh is good here), lemon zest and juice.
• Fresh coriander, chipotle paste, 2 tsp jerk seasoning, chilli flakes, lime zest and juice.
• Fresh mint, harissa paste, 2 tsp finely chopped preserved lemon.
• Fresh thyme, roasted garlic puree, 2 tsp cajun seasoning, lime zest and juice.
• Fresh chives, your favourite BBQ sauce/marinade, 2 tsp smoked paprika/BBQ rub, clementine zest and juice.
• Fresh tarragon, wholegrain mustard, 2 tsp garlic granules, lemon zest and juice.
• Fresh parsley, pesto, 2 tsp vegan parmesan, lemon zest and juice.